About the artist
Charlotte van Pallandt (1898, Arnhem – 1997, Noordwijk), full name Charlotte Dorothée baroness van Pallandt, was a Dutch painter and sculptor. Still a young girl, she proved to be very talented. She had a preference for drawing, painting and playing the piano. After her marriage with the diplomat Adolph earl van Rechteren ended in 1923, she went her own way. Until 1928 she was active as a painter. She was friends with the painter Kees Verweij. In 1929, she started sculpting. Van Pallandt trained among others in Paris, where she studied under Charles Despiau. In 1953 she made a statue of Queen Juliana. In 1968, she produced the famous bronze statue of Queen Wilhelmina, standing in front of Noordeinde Palace. Van Pallandt specialised in portraits and nudes. She often worked with the model Truus Trompert. Van Pallandt is numbered among the Groep van de Figuratieve Abstractie (Group of Figurative Abstraction). In 1992, she was awarded the Oeuvre Prize by the Fonds voor Beeldende Kunsten, Vormgeving en Bouwkunst/Fund for Fine Arts, Design and Architecture (BKVB). Her work is in the collections of the Centraal Museum, Utrecht; Kröller-Müller Museum, Otterlo; Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam; Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, Rotterdam; Museum de Fundatie, Zwolle. Charlotte van Pallandt is considered one of the most important Dutch artists of the 20th century.